As moms we really give it all — heart, mind, and definitely body! This episode is all about that last part, and how we can recognize and rehabilitate pelvic floor problems. I’m with the best expert I’ve ever met on the topic (plus she’s one of the most fun too!). Her name is Isa Herrera and she is a licensed physical therapist as well as an expert in integrative pelvic floor therapies. She’s treated pelvic pain, leaking, and prolapse in over 14,000 women at her healing center in New York City and was one of the first to pioneer the use of integrative modalities like Maya massage, cold laser therapy, sound healing, and other techniques.
Isa has also authored five books on the topic of pelvic floor dysfunction and pain, including her newly released international bestseller Female Pelvic Alchemy. She now brings her expertise to a global audience with an online school that teaches pelvic health exercises, self-care techniques, and integrative tools to maximize healing.
Episode Highlights With Isa Herrera
- What Isa’s own post-pregnancy experience taught her (that physical therapy school didn’t)
- How she discovered that 1 out of 3 women in the U.S. struggle with this issue
- How it controls the lymphatic system, sexual function, joint stability, and more
- The reason caesarian births don’t prevent pelvic floor damage
- Why Kegels might not be the best pelvic floor exercise (& what to do instead)
- Health conditions that make it more likely you’ll experience pelvic floor dysfunction
- The connection between pelvic floor and diastasis recti (abdominal separation)
- What your reoccurring UTI or bladder infection might really be
- Isa’s take on whether Yoni eggs, Ben Wa balls, and other Kegel devices are helpful
- Why using a sling/surgery to treat vaginal prolapse may not be the best course
- How to give yourself a vulvar-vaginal exam (and why it’s important)
- Natural solutions to balance and restore the pelvic area
- What an ergonomic workspace has to do with vaginal and pelvic health
- Self-care tips for your pelvic floor during pregnancy
- And more!
“The pelvic floor is the basin. It is the cradle of our being… the deep connector of the lower and the upper extremity.”
Resources We Mention
- The Perfect Kegels Checklist
- The Female Pelvic Freedom Checklist
- Free Webinar Training: How to Naturally Heal Leaking, Prolapse, and Sexual Pain Without Going to the Doctor
- Free Masterclass Training
- Books by Isa Herrera
More From Wellness Mama
- 20: Exercise, Movement & Pelvic Floor Health
- 21: The Problem with Sitting: A Solution
- 88: Pregnancy Exercise, Diastasis, and Pelvic Floor Health with Lorraine Scapens
- 83: Beating Postpartum Depression & Pelvic Floor Care with Dr. Jolene Brighten
- 106: Why to Stop Doing Kegels & Squat Instead with Katy Bowman
- 109: Vaginal Health, Menopause, and Hormone Therapy With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 234: The Keto-Green Way to Optimize Hormones & Libido With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- Symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy (& Natural Ways to Protect Vaginal Health)
- Natural Ways to Improve Libido & Sex Drive in Women
- How to Identify and Fix Diastasis Recti
- Alternatives to Using a Chair at a Desk
- Is Sitting Worse than Eating Donuts?
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about pelvic health? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, maker of some of my favorite coffees, teas and drink mixes all infused with superfood mushrooms like Reishi, Cordyceps, Chaga, Turkey Tail and Lion’s Mane. Many of their formulations also include adaptogens, which are herbs that help our bodies adapt to stress and other beneficial ingredients all tucked into convenient packets that you can add to hot or cold water for a quick drink. My personal favorite is their mushroom coffee because I already drink coffee and adding in superfood mushroom is an easy way to upgrade my morning cup. I also keep packets in my purse for when I am out and about, especially when I am traveling. If you aren’t familiar with the many benefits of these mushrooms, they contain things like polyphenols, polysaccharides, beta-glucans, and antioxidants that support the immune system. And they aren’t just great for us… they actually improve the environment in several ways too! They help the soil in a process called bioremediation, or the breakdown of down toxic compounds that have infiltrated water or soil. Fungi have been shown to break down and help eliminate a variety of hazardous chemicals. They’re truly something you can feel great about consuming, both for your own health and for the environment. Wellness Mama listeners get a special discount! Go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use the code “WELLNESSMAMA” to save 15%.
This episode is sponsored by Kasandrinos Olive Oil. I love family owned companies with a mission and that are dedicated to making the highest quality products and supporting sustainable agriculture and this olive oil fits the bill. Founded by an active duty marine, Tony Kasandrinos, and his sister whose family is from Greece, this company is dedicated to the absolutely highest quality olive oil with the most amazing flavor. With all the controversy over some olive oils being adulterated and diluted, they go above and beyond to test for purity. In fact, All of their olive oil has 3 independent chemical analysis tests done by third party labs. Two are conducted in Europe and another in the United States. These tests confirm the freshness, oleic acid levels and that the olive oil is organic. They use cold press extraction to retain the beneficial properties and use Koroneiki olives which contain very high levels of polyphenols, which are the well-studied beneficial component of olive oil. Their olives are harvested within 50km of their family press in Lakonia Greece and are non-GMO, USDA-certified organic, and PGI-certified. Learn more and check out their products at kasandrinos.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama for 10% off your order!
from The Wellness Mama Podcast https://ift.tt/2VpsxAb